Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Two Grandmothers


Katherine Genevieve Deverall
1915-1987

Grandma Johnson was born and raised in Las Vegas, Nevada. She attended the very first Kindergarten class in Las Vegas and was in the first graduating class from Las Vegas High School. Grandma successfully raised four sons, one of them was my dad! (Imagine someone raising four boys!) She and I were always very close as we attended church together each Sunday and ate polish hot dog sandwiches from Der Weinerschnitzel. Afterwards we would come home and enjoy homemade banana cookies . . . those cookies are still favorites of my boys'. I spent every other weekend at the home of either of my grandparents. I talked to Grandma Johnson most every day and share the goings on of the moment. Grandma Johnson LOVED Christmas as she prepared for the holiday all year long. She loved to spoil everyone and truly had a very kind heart. I certainly wish that my own children were able to know her. She passed away when Tim was four months old. I think about Grandma Johnson most every day, in some respect, as she had a profound affect on me during my life. Neurotic at times, but gosh, who isn't, she depicted the picture of a true worry wart. Today I honor Grandma Johnson for the contribution that she personally made in my life.

Eunice Lora Dickman
1915-2009

Eunice Lora Barrett was born in Boise, Idaho at home to Grace and Elmer Barrett. Gram was such an important person in my life, I talked to her everyday that I can remember. Gram tended to be on the reserved side, but let me tell you, she had a stubborn streak!! Gram demonstrated the epitome of wife, mother, and grandmother. Her priority in life was to provide
a happy home for her family. She was the BEST cook ever as she took pride in parties, family dinners, and holidays. I have fond memories of summer vacations to the northwest part of the country with Gram and Grampa visiting their parents and many friends. Gram taught he how to sew on her Kenmore sewing machine and she is the reason that I love to bake and spend so much time in the kitchen. Gram took great pride in always keeping busy around the house: cooking, cleaning, mending, or tending chores. She was also so proud of her family and their many accomplishments. Gram had a great interest in all of the kids, grandkids, and great grandkids as she was always most interested in what was going on in their lives. Today I honor Eunice Lora Barrett as one of the most important people in my life!


I have a special recipe book that my two grandmothers made for me 23 years ago. All of the recipes are in their own handwriting!!! I will treasure it forever!!!!

Here is the recipe for those YUMMY banana cookies!!!!!!

Gram, of course, contributed so many wonderful recipes to the cookbook! I have used this cookbook so many times that it looks pretty shabby!! One of my family's favorite recipes of Gram's is the YUMMY zucchini bread. We are waiting for our garden to sprout some zucchini so we can make Gram's famous zucchini bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment